Week 5 Day 7

Sunday was (I think) the first day I have spent entirely at home.

I woke up at about 10:00, at which point Vera had already left for church, and then made myself some breakfast. After that, I did my homework for class and corrected last week’s test, and then wrote some postcards. I also did a lot of summer reading stuff, which is important since I still have about two and a half more books to read as well as a bunch of other stuff for classes before the end of August...I guess I should get started on that as well.

During the course of the day, I had the chance to text back and forth with some of my friends from the U.S., which was fortunate since usually I’m on excursions or doing work when they’re awake (D.C. is about 7 hours behind Moldovan time). I also listened to the entire soundtrack of Die Zauberflöte between 3-5 times, which I would highly recommend doing if you have the time.

Vera came back from church at about 1:30, and then we had lunch together and watched a bit of a Russian show that was on at the moment. I was able to understand a good amount of it, but a lot of it still went over my head. Anyhow, it was enjoyable.

When that was done, I went back to my room and did more of the same that I had done in the morning. At orientation and in the participant guide, they had advised participants to avoid spending a lot of time alone in their rooms since it means that you wouldn’t be making the most of the time with your host family. However, since our apartment is so small, the kitchen would be really crowded if I did my work there, so I usually just sit at the desk in my room or lie on the bed with the door open all the way to avoid making it seem like I need to be alone, which has worked out pretty well so far.

After a few hours, at about 6:00, Vera told me that there was dinner on the stove and that I could eat whenever I wanted, since she was going to church (again??). I took a shower, ate dinner and then pretty much just relaxed before bed.

It was good that I had a laidback day, since it took off some of the pressure of trying to cram as much as possible into the time we have left here—I’m still not too excited to be leaving so soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Day 2

Week 4 Day 3

Week 3 Day 1